Monday, October 8, 2012

Back Home Again

James and I have been home since last Thursday. His Cochlear Implant surgery went very well. He did very well with the anesthesia and it seemed that he had more concerns about heart rate levels instead of breathing. His heart rate was kinda high for awhile, but not out of control. It was mainly due to pain and anxiety. They tried to hold off on giving him any narcotics because that would depress his breathing. He did very well. They kept him overnight in the hospital at St. Mary's just to keep an eye on his breathing and such. He was a trooper and by Thursday morning at 9 am they said we could go home!

Coming home he had some drainage out of his ear for a couple days which is pretty normal and also tells us that the tubes in his ears are working. He's been in a good mood, eating well and happy. He went back to school today so hopefully that goes well (I'm sure it will).

Now we just wait until October 22 when we go back to Mayo to turn on the implant!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda Jo I COMMEND YOU!.. I was mom to a daughter with severe spastic quad CP for 27 years so I know what you're going through. We dealt with many, many medical issues and surgeries through the years but thankfully we never had to deal with the Cochlear Implants. You are a real trooper Mom with all the traveling you do with James for these appointments. I'm SOO HAPPY the implant surgery went well. Amanda I really enjoyed reading through your blog. James is sooo CUTE! I would be thrilled if you would come on over and share yours and James' story with our families @ CP Family Network"> I'm sure there are many families that would be interested in your experience w/the Cochlear implants and more. It's a wonderful network of families sharing and caring. Your experiences would be valued and an inspiration to so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your kind words! I've realized as a special needs mom-that I have the ability to do whatever it is James needs me to do. I'm glad you stumbled upon our blog. And thanks for the invite over to CP Family Network! I'm always looking for sites like this!

      Delete